This lemony-artichoke, one skillet meal is a surprising hit with my young grandsons as well as the whole family. With just seven main ingredients, it comes together fast for a nutritious weeknight meal. I stretch it by cutting my chicken pieces in half. It’s gluten and grain free, and one of my staple dishes while I am on Whole30.
So I just completed my first Whole30 last week, and here I am again on Day 7 of my second Whole30.
I know. No sugar, no grains, no dairy, no legumes, no processed food has been consumed for 37 days.
Who am I?
Yes, I feel great. Yes, I have lost weight. I’ll write more about my experience when I get through with this month, though. It’s been a huge learning curve for sure, and I haven’t been spending a lot of time creating my own recipes, except for this one, which I have made at least four times in the last month.
I threw this together one day when I was planning on making something else, because there in my pantry sat a jar of artichokes that needed to be used. I was sure the two grandboys would turn their noses up at it, but the opposite happened. They both finished off three plates each. The oldest now asks for it weekly.
- Arrowroot is kind of hard to find for me. I have to pick it up when I go into the big city, or I order from Amazon. But it is a staple in my house and what I have been using to thicken all kinds of sauces, gravies and puddings. You can sub cornstarch or all purpose flour.
- I like to cut my chicken into really small pieces, just to stretch that two pounds of chicken. This would be great using chicken thighs too.
- I added in fresh basil because I have it, but that’s optional.
- The lemon is not optional. You simply MUST add the lemon.
- You can serve this over cauliflower rice if you are Whole30-ing it, or regular rice if not.
- 2 pounds thinly sliced chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to season chicken
- 3-6 tablespoons avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 3-6 tablespoons arrowroot (can substitute with all purpose flour if not grain free)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 (16 ounce) jar artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- Fresh chopped basil, if desired
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. (You can cut them in half to make smaller pieces if desired, but you don’t have to.) Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place about 3-4 tablespoons arrowroot in a pie plate. Coat each piece of chicken with arrowroot, front and back. (Doesn’t have to be completely coated. Add more arrowroot if necessary.) Place in the hot oil and cook until golden brown on the outside, turning once. (Chicken does not have to be done on the inside, you are just browning the outside. Add more oil as necessary.) Transfer to a plate.
- Add the garlic to the pan and quickly stir, then add the chicken broth. Using a whisk or a flat whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan to release the brown bits at the bottom. Whisk in the lemon juice, then add the artichokes, Place the chicken pieces back in the sauce and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce has thickened. Sprinkle with fresh, chopped basil, if desired.
- Serve over rice, noodles, cauliflower rice or mashed potatoes.