I like cherries now.
Since I’ve been on my little healthy eating journey, I’ve been stretching my taste buds all over the place, but one thing I haven’t thought of trying are cherries. I never liked them growing up, except for the fake cherry flavoring in lollipops, then yes please, but here I am all grown up and loving cherries.
Look at me now!
And this all happened because I saw some in the grocery store the other day and I was like “whoa, those are pretty and I bet they’re healthy too.”
I was right.
I don’t have a cherry pitter, so it was kind of a pain to cut around the pit, but I managed because I am a woman who presses on in trying circumstances. Into a decadent chocolate smoothie/frosty/shake/blended drink/whatever-you-want-to-call-it they went.
This is super awesome yummy good. Make this today.
–You can substitute cocoa powder for cacao powder.
–You could definitely use frozen cherries.
–If you can’t find Medjool dates, use what you can, or you can sweeten with your choice of sweetener like honey.
–Nutritional information is for the smoothie only. The coconut whipped cream is completely optional (I highly recommend it though).
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled in fridge overnight
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 cup sliced cherries
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- The day before, place the can of coconut milk in the fridge to chill overnight. The day of smoothie making, open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the firm solid cream on top into a bowl and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy like whipped cream. Reserve the liquid for another use. Beat in the honey.
- Blend the ice and next 5 ingredients together on high speed.
- To serve, fill a glass with the smoothie and top with a dollop of the whipped cream.