Have you had enough turkey and dressing yet? Well, before round two starts at Christmas, please make this at your earliest convenience. It’s a nice change from traditional holiday food, and it’s healthy and light and a total face plant for me and my husband both. (Alright, his had venison and cheese in it. More on that below.)
This is not so much a recipe as it is a meal idea. At the beginning of the week I made my rice (a huge thing of it) and chopped up most of the veggies (expect the avocado which turns brown, and the tomatoes, because refrigerated tomatoes are just gross!) and stored everything in little containers in the fridge. Then, when meal time arrived, is was a matter of assembly, not cooking and or a ton of chopping. I’m in a major time crunch right now and AIN’T NOBODY GOT TIME TO COOK.
What I love about this? Besides everything, I love the freshness of it. I also LOVE that the rice is warm and the other ingredients are coolish. I don’t know, it’s just super good to me. I can’t get enough.
This is soooo easy to please everyone with the addition of a few extras. To make it vegetarian, you could add shredded cheese. For your meat lovers, add cooked shrimp, chicken, or steak. Or do like I did for my hubby and add venison. (HE BAGGED A BUCK THE OTHER DAY! SCORE!)
–There are no measurements for the rice. Just squeeze some fresh lime juice over it and sprinkle it with cilantro and salt and pepper. Taste it and adjust seasonings.
–Everything else is just throw-in-as-much-or-as-little-as-you-want.
–I like to serve mine in an 9-inch round cake pan.
–I liket to microwave the rice and beans if they are straight out of the fridge.
–I cut my avocados fresh each time because they will turn brown quickly after they are cut.
–I cut my tomatoes fresh, too, because I don’t like to store them in the fridge.
- Warm, cooked brown rice
- Fresh limes
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Red bell pepper, chopped
- Green bell pepper, chopped
- Red onion, chopped
- Avocado, seeded and chopped
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar (or honey if not vegan)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle the warm, cooked rice with lime juice and add a couple of tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. This will really give the rice great flavor. (I do not measure.)
- To assemble the individual salads, place a spoonful of the warm rice in the bottom of a shallow bowl. Add the other ingredients, then drizzle with the vinaigrette. You can toss it or not. Add more cilantro, if desired, and serve with lime wedges.
- To make the vinaigrette: Put all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting jar and shake vigorously.
*You can add shredded cheese to make it vegetarian, or chopped, cooked chicken, steak, venison, or shrimp for meat lovers.
*Roasted corn would be great in this too.