Mug baked goods. Single serving goodies baked in a mug in like 3 minutes flat. I’m on a kick.
I’ve tried several recipes recently that were good, but off in texture. Yeah, it’s hard to get good texture from the microwave, but after a lot of tweaking, I feel like I finally nailed a pretty healthy and tasteful banana bread in a mug. No, it’s not like oven-baked banana bread, but it really hits the spot when I want something muffin-y, but still healthy. Plus, it has no refined sugar, no white flour, no butter, no oil, and is an easy, fast breakfast. I love to sit on the couch and eat out of my mug. I’m becoming obsessed.
I have some notes below. You should read them.
–First, no, this isn’t like oven-baked banana bread, but it’s still delicious. Just don’t expect it to taste like oven-baked because obviously.
–I have made recipes without an egg, but honestly I think it needs the egg for structure and texture. I tried to leave it out one time but it was a packy mess.
–You could change up the nuts and use pecans or walnuts instead. I prefer them toasted, so I keep toasted ones in the freezer, then throw them in things when I need them.
–I really like the almond flour in this. I even found it at my local grocery store. I store it in the freezer because I don’t use it often.
–Cooking time is for my microwave. It usually cooks in 3 minutes for me. It’s important not to over cook it, but obviously not to under cook it either. It will puff up in the microwave, then sink down again. It pulls away from the sides. I never use cooking spray.
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons honey (raw organic is best)
- 1 large egg (organic is best)
- 1 tablespoon chopped or sliced almonds (toasted preferably)
- Stir together the almond flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt in a large (12-ounce) mug.
- In a small bowl, mash the banana well with a fork. Whisk in the milk, honey, and egg. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients in the mug. Stir in nuts. Microwave on high for 2½ to 3 minutes, until bread is puffed and done. Eat immediately straight out of the mug with a spoon.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 185 mg
Sodium 879 mg
Potassium 351 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Sugars 20 g