My niece is here visiting and that means one thing for us:
Because, hello, that’s just what we do. She helped me make these totally cute, kid-friendly, handheld strawberry shortcakes. We call them walking shortcakes because you can, um, walk around with them in your hand.
The word nifty comes to my mind.
My niece now thinks I am 64% cooler than when she first arrived in Mississippi a few days ago. Today we will be working on a cookie recipe. Because that’s just what we do.
Here are my notes:
–The amount of fillings you use will depend greatly on the size of your cone, which will depend greatly on the brand. I got 9 cones out of my batch.
–I would serve these after about 15 minutes in the fridge, but we ate some several hours after I made them and the bottoms were still not soggy. I was concerned about that with the strawberry juice.
–I gently packed the cake cubes and strawberries in so things would be a little tighter and not so loose in there. Plus, packing the cake at the bottom will help to absorb the strawberry juice.
–I chopped my strawberries and cake cubes very small so everything would fit well.
- 1 heaping cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- 1 heaping cup finely chopped angel food cake or pound cake cubes (I used angel food cake)
- 8-10 ice cream cones (I used flat bottom)
- Place chopped strawberries in bowl, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and toss to coat. Let sit for about 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Beat ½ cup heavy cream and the marshmallow cream on high speed with a stand or hand mixer until soft peaks form. Beat the remaining heavy cream in a separate bowl on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into the marshmallow cream mixture. Refrigerate until needed.
- Working with one cone at a time, create 6 layers of cake, strawberries and marshmallow cream. To start, add a small spoonful of the cubed cake to the bottom of each cone, pressing down gently into the cracks with your finger or a spoon. Add a small spoonful of the strawberries, pressing down gently, then top with a spoonful of the marshmallow cream. Repeat those layers once ending with marshmallow cream on top. (How much you use will depend greatly on the size of your cone.) Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, then serve. 8-10 cones.