Four Stack is one of those quintessential southern potluck desserts that I see at least one of at just about every function I go to. I don’t know if it’s truly southern, but it is to me because I never knew this dessert until I moved to the south, and then it was like everywhere. (We love our nondairy whipped topping and cream cheese here, folks.)
And what’s not to like about the classic cool, creamy, layered dessert? A crunchy crust, followed by a fluffy, sweet, cream cheese layer, followed by a chocolate pudding layer, topped with nondairy whipped topping. It’s pretty and it’s easy to make.
(By the way, it has numerous names such as Chocolate Delight, Four Layer Delight, etc. Also, I’ve seen other versions such as blueberry and lemon.)
For me, though, I have always liked the taste of real whipped cream better than nondairy whipped topping, so I came up with a version using that.
This version has a thick graham cracker crust (because I love my crumb crusts thick!), followed by a marshmallow cream cheese layer, followed by a whipped milk chocolate ganache layer (!), and topped with a marshmallow whipped cream layer.
Here are my notes:
–The toppings on top are really important, so buy those Hershey bars and chop them up good. It makes this dessert more fun that way. 🙂
–This is definitely a make-ahead dessert. I would chill for four hours at least, but overnight would be better.
–Just take your time which the marshmallow cream whipped topping. It will fluff up but it just takes a minute.
–This is super kid-friendly. They will love it and so will the adults.
–I know that this is off the charts with all the heavy cream, but it’s sometimes it’s okay to have a fattening, rich dessert, okay? So no hating.
- 2½ cups finely crushed graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ cups heavy cream, chilled
- 2 (8 ounce) jars marshmallow cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Chopped milk chocolate bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the ingredients for the first layer, then pat into the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish or metal pan. Bake for 12 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese on high speed until fluffy. Beat in the marshmallow cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat 1 cup heavy cream to stiff peaks in a separate bowl, then fold into the marshmallow mixture by hand. Spread evenly over graham cracker crust and refrigerate while third layer is being made.
- Place the milk chocolate chips (room temperature so they will melt faster, not straight out of the fridge or freezer) in a large mixing bowl. Heat 1½ cups heavy cream in the microwave for 90 seconds or until very hot. Pour over the chocolate chips in the bowl and let sit for 2 minutes. With the whip attachment on a hand mixer, beat the chocolate chips and cream on low speed until smooth, then beat on high speed for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread mixture over marshmallow-cream cheese layer. Refrigerate.
- Beat 1½ cups chilled heavy cream, 2 jars marshmallow fluff, and ¼ cup powdered sugar on high speed with whip attachment until it has medium stiff peaks. Spread over chocolate layer. Sprinkle the top with graham cracker crumbs and chopped chocolate bars if desired. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.