I got off a 30 day juice fast about a week ago (more on this in a later post), and I’ve had a serious craving for steak. I mean a ravenous, violent craving. And for eggs too.
It’s like *all* I can think about are eggs when I am not thinking about steak.
So I ate both of them at one time.
But not really the end because this is the part where I tell you that this recipe is totally awesome because not only do you get vibrant, flavorful, fresh tasting chimichurri sauce drizzled on top, but the yolk of the fried egg will also become sauce when you cut into it.
Did you hear that?
A runny egg yolk is a beautiful thing. Add a sprinkling of queso fresco and boom. Your awesome high protein meal is done.
Here are my notes:
–Yes, this would go well with those lime grilled avocados I posted earlier this week.
–Use you favorite cut of steak. Mine is a rib eye. –I cooked the fried egg on the gill in a cast iron skillet.
–I used queso fresco which is a crumbly cheese, but you could use a different kind or just leave it off.
- 1½ cups packed fresh parsley
- 5 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (6 to 8-ounce) rib-eye steaks, 1-inch thick
- Olive oil, for brushing steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- Process the chimichurri ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Brush steaks with extra virgin olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill for about 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steaks from heat and allow to rest on serving plates. Drizzle with chimichurri, reserving some for topping eggs.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large non-stick fire-proof skillet on grill. Crack eggs into pan, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook until whites are set, about 3 to 4 minutes, flipping once. Remove eggs and place directly on the steaks. Sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle with more chimichurri sauce.