Layers of Love Torte

So in just a couple of weeks, my sister will be changing careers.  She will be quitting her stable job and leaving the company that she has been at forever, to become a full-time stay at home mom.  And I’m sure she has a range of emotions, from mostly excitement to maybe a little bit of sadness (although, sadness is very hard to detect in our conversations, I’ll be honest).  But along with even good, positive change, sometimes come butterflies in the stomach, second guessing, and maybe even a little bit of fear.

Fear of the unknown.

Fear of failure.

Fear of change.

Fear that it won’t work the way you thought.  Maybe even fear that you won’t like it.  Or that “it” won’t like you back.

And I know this because I am having a positive change in my life too, but I still second guess, I still doubt, and I still sometimes want to barf up chunky pieces of my last snack from the sheer nerves that suddenly overtake me when I least expect it.

But I know my sis, and I know that she is gonna make the best darn SAHM in the whole world.  And I am sooooo virtually celebrating this BIG, HUMONGOUS change in her life with her, this change that could quite possibly alter the course of the whole world.  (YES, I THINK REALLY BIG.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THINKING BIG.)

So I created this torte for her.  I wanted to call it a pie, but in my mind, when something is put in a springform pan, it cannot be called pie.  I’m a stickler like that.

It’s three mousse-y, creamy layers of three of my favorite flavors–peanut butter, Nutella, and Biscoff.  In an Oreo cookie crust.  The end.

Except to say, nice move, sis.

Here are my notes:

-I love thick crumb crusts.  I mean really thick.  So I used a whole pack of Oreos.  But if you don’t like crust overkill, use your favorite crumb crust recipe.

-I just eyeballed the whipped cream when dividing it into thirds.

-I gave this a good overnight chill before cutting.  It sliced nicely.  Then I froze the remainder.  And it was delicious frozen.  Who knew?

Layers of Love Torte
1 package Oreo cookies (not Double Stuf), finely crumbled or ground in a food processor or blender
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
12 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature, divided
1/2 cup Biscoff spread
3 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
1/2 cup Nutella
1/2 cup peanut butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place a 9-inch springform pan on a baking sheet.

Stir together the Oreo crumbs and the melted butter until just moistened.   Press the crumbs evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan. (They may not go all the way up the sides, but that’s okay.) Bake for 10 minutes, then cool completely on wire rack.
Beat 2 cups of the heavy cream with a wire whisk attachment until foamy.  Slowly add 1/4 cup powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks. Refrigerate until needed.
In another bowl, beat 4 ounces cream cheese, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup Biscoff , and 1 tablespoon heavy cream until very smooth.  Fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream to the Biscoff mixture (eyeball it) and spread evenly in the bottom of the crust.
Rinse out bowl and beaters and beat another 4 ounces cream cheese, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup Nutella, and 1 tablespoon heavy cream until smooth.  Fold in another 1/3 of the whipped cream.  Spread evenly on Biscoff layer.  (I like to use an offset spatula.)
Rinse bowl and beat the remaining cream cheese, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup peanut butter, and 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Fold in remaining whipped cream. Spread over Nutella layer.  Chill torte in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight.

Comments

1. says

Something like palmin. You can find oagrnic coconut fat, non-hydrogenated and looking similar to a Palmin packet, at any Reformhaus, the brand is Eden. You can also find coconut fat in most supermarkets. It comes in little packets (see my comment below).But you could also use coconut oil. Ich glaube, hier in Deutschland wird das gar nicht so unterschieden. Es wird alles bei Raumtemperatur fest. Ich habe mal Kokosf6l ffcr wenig Geld in einem Asialaden bekommen. Das war dann bei mir zu Hause auch fest. Es geht nur darum, dem Aufstrich Stabilite4t zu verleihen. Im Originalaufstrich wird Palmfett verwendet, wenn ich mich recht erinnere. Das we4re dann ja Palmin. Palmfett benutze ich aber nicht gerne.

2. Anonymous says

Hi,
    Just wondering is there any alternative to Biscoff spread that can be used in this cake. I am from Ireland and can’t get it over here!

Thanks,
    Sarah

3. says

Congrats on your Just A Pinch win!! You will LOVE your prize and the biggest prize of all – meeting the JAP staff. I won for the cookie contest and I had an absolute ball! I made your torte this past weekend with my niece and we LOVED it.
    It’s funny that you said it’s good frozen also because that is what I thought of too. It is really a DECADENT dessert and lovely enough for the most elegant party! Have fun in Nashville!

Jackie

4. says

This looks lovely! Sorry if this is an inane question but in the crust are you using only the chocolate part of the Oreo cookie or its filling as well?

5. says

There’s a birthday coming up in our house next week and I think this may be the special dessert for the day. Thank you for the recipe!

6. says

This is so drool-worthy. This calls for a celebration indeed…I can understand that your sis maybe having anxieties, but I tell you that may be the best decision she has ever made. I have been a SAHM for 3 years and have not regretted it a bit, except perhaps the fact that I don’t get to wear my heels too often, well I do walk around the house, gardening, chores, etc in my heels. LOL!
    I am keeping this recipe…delicious! Thanks for sharing!

• says

Anonyomous-You could easily just make it another peanut butter layer.:) So peanut butter, then Nutella, then peanut butter again. :)

• Angie says

I’ve heard that Trader Joe’s sells a Cookie Butter which is very similar to biscoff spread. You can also find biscoff spread at Cost Plus World Markets. Good luck!

• says

I’ve bought it at Trader Joe’s. Maybe try World Market, if you have one of those. Or maybe Amazon if you don’t mind ordering it online.

7. says

I made this for my husbands birthday and let me just say it is the most irresistible amazing dessert I have every had. I am actually not a huge fan of any of these spreads used in the layers, I am more of a “fruity” dessert gal. But my husband loves all of these, so I knew this would be a winner for him. Well much to my surprise I loved it, I mean I couldn’t stop eating it! Perfect flavor, we liked it much better than traditional baked cheesecakes, and the texture was absolutely perfect. Love it, making it again for mother’s day :)

8. says

It was aptly named! Your sister is pretty awesome! I will certainly miss her in the office next to mine! I can’t wait to try the recipe. It sounds and looks delicious!!!

9. Breanna says

I can’t wait to try this. If I wanted to turn the peanut butter layer into a coffee layer should I omit the peanut butter (of course) and add instant coffee granules to the 1 tablespoon of heavy cream then follow the rest as instructed? Do you think the consistency would be ok or do have a better recommendation?

• says

Breanna–That is a wonderful idea. I might use twice the cream cheese (which would be a whole block) to make up for not using the peanut butter, then use a little more powdered sugar for sweetness (to taste).