Pound Cake French Toast Stacks with Sweet Goat Cheese Mousse and Warm Balsamic Roasted Strawberries

How was your Thanksgiving, friends?  Mine was wonderful.  I’m still picking the meat off of a smoked turkey carcass and fighting the urge to dig into the remaining coconut pie. (Mom, please stick it in the freezer before I come over and tackle it.) We had one of our three (!) dinners at my brother-in-law’s house in the woods.  It is absolutely gorgeous this time of year and some of us even found some treasures buried beneath the crisp fall leaves.

One man’s giant acorn is another man’s treasure.

I have one more decadent dessert to post before I make myself fast on broth and lettuce leaves until Christmas.  I just felt the urge to get this out of my hard drive and into the blogosphere where it can truly be appreciated.

It probably seems odd to be posting a strawberry dessert at the end of November, but I actually have some very nice looking strawberries in my grocery store right now.  But I bet if you don’t have fresh strawberries, you have the frozen ones, and I’m sure they would work just as nicely.  Think of this dish as a cold weather version of Strawberry Shortcake.  I made French toast out of store-bought pound cake slices (oh yes I did), then whipped up a sweet and tangy goat cheese mousse, then layered that with warm strawberries that I roasted in aged balsamic vinegar and sugar.  It was heaven.  And I would be perfectly within my right to eat this for breakfast because everybody knows that French toast is a breakfast food.

BUT WAIT!!!  There’s more!!!

Let’s just say that you didn’t want to go through the trouble of making French toast out of pound cake slices.  You could easily layer some small cubes of pound cake with the goat cheese mousse and strawberries and put it all in cute little 8-ounce mason jars.  And the great thing about this is that it’s instant portion control!

Unless you eat four of them in one sitting, then it’s a train wreck.

Could you just die from all the cuteness?

Here are my notes:

-I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.  I prefer aged balsamic vinegar, but you can use the regular.

-And if you think you don’t like balsamic vinegar on strawberries, you are wrong.

-And if you think you don’t like goat cheese, you are wrong.

-And if you think you don’t like pound cake made into French toast, well, come one, DON’T BE RIDICULOUS!!!

-The balsamic vinegar and sugar will become thick in the oven and make a syrup.  This is a very good thing. :)

Roasted Balsamic Strawberries:
3 cups sliced strawberries
4 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
Goat Cheese Mousse:
3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
1 (6-ounce) roll goat cheese, softened to room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sugar
Pound cake French Toast:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
8 (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick) pound cake slices
1.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine the strawberries, the balsamic vinegar and 4 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl.  Transfer to a baking sheet and spread in a single layer, making sure to pour all the liquid over the berries.  Roast in oven, stirring several times, for 40 minutes or until strawberries are roasted and syrup is very thick.
2.      Beat the heavy cream in a medium bowl on high speed until medium peaks form.  In another bowl, beat the goat cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth.  Fold the whipped cream into the goat cheese until combined.
3.      Whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a shallow dish.   Dip pound cake slices in egg mixture, evenly coating both sides. Cook pound cake slices in batches, in a large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.  Keep warm.
4.      To serve, place one slice of French toast on each of 4 plates, then place a dollop of goat cheese mousse on top.  Spoon some of the warm strawberries over the top, then place another slice of French toast on the strawberries.  Place another dollop of mousse and top with more strawberries and syrup.  4 servings.

Comments

1. says

your whole site is cute! i fell in love with it instantly while looking for a sweet coconut cream pie. Like going into a store for one thing and come out with every but! lol

2. says

I can’t begin to express the kind of heaven I am in upon seeing this recipe. I can barely breathe…and this is definitely on my soon to be to-do-list. Thanks for posting, absolutely remarkable.

3. says

Lori, I found your blog when googling roasted strawberries. What a find! I need to be wrapping presents, etc. but instead, I can’t quit reading and clicking through your recipes. I just took some roasted strawberries per your instructions out of the oven. Exquisite with my homemade vanilla bean Greek yogurt.

4. says

Seriously, I have to wipe lick marks off of the computer screen every time I look at one of your posts. This is one of the most delicious things I’ve seen! And your grandson is adorable!

5. Laurel says

I just stumbled onto this website and immediately re-signed with Weight Watchers since I am pretty sure I gained a few just LOOKING at this amazing deliciousness! Can’t wait to try a few of them. And I not only love the recipies…you’ve got the perfect sense of humor too! This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship :)
    PS. Can you post what type of camera you’re using?

6. says

Bella–Chocolate balsamic vinegar??????!!!!!! Seems like I have heard of that, but sweet mercy, I think that would be PERFECT with this. Great. Idea.

The little boy is my grandson. :) Welcome here, friend!

7. says

The little boy is adorable, yours? The photo just underneath is so freakin real, I could just grab it and run! Awesome recipe and your photos are gorgeous, I found you through tastespotting as well, my after dinner, tease my self, or torture in your case, indulgence.

I will try this but instead will use my chocolate balsamic, yes chocolate, which I found at Edible Canada at Granville Market. I have previously used on Strawberries, goat cheese and toasted pieces of bagette, but your recipe sounds way better! And yes of course, french toast is breakfast food!

8. says

All–Thanks for the nice comments! I had no idea that this recipe would stir such passion in everyone! You all like your goat cheese and balsamic strawberries, don’t you? :)

9. Anita N. says

This is one of the most delicious things I think I’ve ever seen in my entire life. I am literally drooling…it’s kinda embarrassing, but I’m not too ashamed because look at this! It’s amazing! Who wouldn’t drool looking at this?!

Thanks so much for posting this incredible recipe!!

10. says

This sounds – and looks – to die for! Your photography is fabulous, as is your imagination for which ingredients and flavors to combine. Glad I stumbled upon your blog from tastespotting. Look forward to seeing what else you have in store!

11. says

I’m uncertain where to start. First, Will you marry me? Second, I think I might be your long lost sister, or daughter, or cousin, or mother, SOMETHING, because I am DYING over this. LITERALLY! Every.Single.Part from the goat cheese to the mason jars is making my heart beat a little faster. AMAZING!!!!!!

12. says

From the decadent short cakes(on a plate or in jars) to the cutie with the giant acorn, this is one of the most beautiful blog posts I’ve ever seen! Seriously…